Saturday, May 31, 2008

Have you ever seen a happy picture at a funeral?

Well , here it is! In 2004, my little mama died at 90! She loved horses and as a little girl had several of her own. One pony , Silver, was trained to do tricks! When she died and I was making funeral arrangements, I asked the priest if we could have a horse out side the church(she always said she would get on a horse one more time!) He asked the congregation to get in touch with me if they could bring a horse the day of the funeral. I got a call from a lady who said she had a friend who had a pony and would be willing to bring her to the services. I said, "that's perfect, my mom used to have a trick pony she adored"! The lady went on to say that the pony was quite old and her name was Silver! My heart stopped.....and I said to her, " the name of my mom's pony was.....Silver"! True story!!! So, that is why my husband and I and Silver are all smiling outside the church the day of my mother's funeral!
Mom and silver
mom crossed her legs, so did silver
Silver getting on the rocker, so he could be a "rocking horse"! Sharing a laugh!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I coulldn't help but smile too. Wonderful memories. :O)
Peace S.

Anonymous said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Ivette

Barbara said...

oh what a FANTASTIC STORY! Just perfect for starting a day! thank you for sharing!!!

big hugz!

christygrant said...

What a great story and the pictures are wonderful! What great memories your mother gave you!

Jodi said...

What a great story, Peggy. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story. Wonderful!

Kelly Snelling said...

you brought a tear to my eyes and a big smile to my heart. i always love seeing pictures of your dear mama, peggy.

Aileen said...

What a wonderful story Peggy made me smile too :-))

Unknown said...

What a memory, what a treasure, money doesn't make us rich, it is memories and moments like these!!!

Anonymous said...

Perfect start to my day! Debbie

sandee said...

Who says we need to cry at funerals? Aren't we suppose to celebrate the life of our dear loved ones? Your mama was looking down on you that day with the BIGGEST smile. Who else would bring a pony to a funeral? Only you darling...it just goes to show what a great daughter you are and how you live ife to the fullest. I love you dear friend!

Lilyweeds at Augusta Kent Studio said...

Oh Peggy, that is a wonderful remembrance and I love the pictures. Your mom and Silver are just adorable! So are you, dh and the mini-Silver too!!! 90 years - what a wonderful life. :-)

Anonymous said...

Serendipity is all over this story. I absolutely love the photos and I'm touched by the story. Thanks for sharing! Kathryn

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Peggy - I'm so sorry to hear about your mom but what a wonderful tribute to her! I love Silver as the "rocking horse"! And with is legs crossed etc. They had a special bond........ Marva

Danielle Muller said...

truly wonderful! thank you so much for sharing this with us!

blessings,
danielle
www.thevintagedragonfly.typepad.com