Friday, August 3, 2012

My middle name is ANNE, born August 4, 1944

On the morning of 4 August 1944, the Achterhuis was stormed by German uniformed police (Grüne Polizei) following a tip from an informer who was never identified.[33] Led by SS-Oberscharführer Karl Silberbauer of the Security Service, the group included at least three members of the Security Police. The Franks, van Pelses, and Pfeffer were taken to Gestapo headquarters, where they were interrogated and held overnight. On 5 August they were transferred to the Huis van Bewaring (House of Detention), an overcrowded prison on the Weteringschans.
When I discovered these coincidental dates , it was bittersweet. I read her book as a teenager and admired so her sense of hope and making the best of all situations, finding the positive in the negative. I feel a sense of responsibility to emulate her wonderful attitude.
Why not seek the positive and share the smile!
I hope you all find a silver lining.

5 comments:

Wine and Words said...

A sweet and important a post as the woman who posted it! My birthdate has, in it's history, many horrible scars humanity has endured. I do not take them lightly. Silver linings are everywhere :)

bellefrogworks said...

What a lovely post - Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Bless you for a lovely post, Peggy. I am enjoying the calendar you made, especially the August bird-themed page.

Judy said...

Happy Birthday, Peggy! Our birthdate numbers 'match' - mine are 4.8.1944!!

"MOI" Freubel said...

Such a pity i read this too late but still my heartiest congratulations Peggy !! And I agree with Lizbeth...this post is so touching as well !!